I am selfish.
Yup, I want everything to be about me.
If things don’t go my way I get angry.
If you can’t read my thoughts then you are not trying hard enough.
Don’t expect me to show any compassion to you because all I care about is me.
I want you to wait on me.
My time is more important than yours.
Why should I listen to you?
I want what you have and I don’t want you to have it.
When you boil it down every sin comes back to selfishness. Ephesians 4:21-32
- Lying – makes me look innocent/good
- Anger – because I don’t like what you did to me
- Theft – I must have it
- Slander – makes me look better than you
Instead we should put ourselves after loving God and then loving others:
- Be truthful – builds up the body (v. 25)
- Be kind and forgiving – gets rid of our desires and focuses on others (v. 26-27)
- Be generous – helps us forget that we want something (v. 28)
- Be encouraging (stupid) – makes others look better than you (v. 29)